validator bugs (incorrect passes)

Hi,

on 30/01/2000, I sent the following mail:

Hi,

when trying to validate a wrong HTML 2.0 document (e.g. with an unmatched
<a>), the validation passes, but on the bottom of the page (and you have
to scroll to get it, so it's bad), you get the errors.

Also, it suggests I should use WIDTH and HEIGHT tags for IMG, but if I add
them, then it tells me it's not valid HTML 2.0 (so why suggest it in the
first place) ?  Those problems are new (well, since the last time I used
the service, maybe 6 months or so). NB: I have always run in pedantic
mode and with the weblint results. Without, maybe you don't see the errors
and you validate incorrect code!

Otherwise, thanks for your useful service.

Reproduce by validating, e.g. http://www-internal.alphanet.ch/linux/,
then modify the last IMG tag, removing the > and you will see it still
validates.

I got the following answer, and I replied:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> Weblint isn't a good judge anymore of what's correct or incorrect.
> You should ignore nearly everything weblint says, and I argue that it
> should be removed completely from the Validator's options.

It's even worse, since it looks like the parser accepts invalid code.
In my case there was a missing > in an IMG tag, and it was accepted.
I just scrolled down in any case, and I saw the error.

I didn't get any feedback since then.

It seems the problem is still present. Compare the of the validator
error messages
of
   http://www-internal.alphanet.ch/linux/buggy.html
   http://www-internal.alphanet.ch/linux/index.html

and also with UNIX/diff. buggy.html is NOT valid HTML.