Re: Image Tags

From: Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 16:30:23 -0500
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Seamus Venasse <Seamus.Venasse@polaris.ca>
On Wednesday, March 1, 2000 at 11:06, Seamus.Venasse@polaris.ca (Seamus Venasse) wrote:

> When I use the HTML Validation Service and submit my URL, I get an error
> stating that there is no attribute for the "img" element called "name".
> Yet, when I refer to the document type definition at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd, the "img" element has the "name"
> attribute as a useable attribute.  I even placed my use of the tags in the
> order in which they are described in the above DTD, but your Validation
> Service still reports an error with that attribute.  The Validation Service
> does recognise that I am using the proper DTD, so is the problem in my HTML
> code, or is it something that is missing in the Validation Service?

This is confusion brought about by an issue I raised a few weeks ago. See
the thread "4.0 to 4.01 Transition Issues" in the archive if you missed it.

Basicly the DTD located at

is the latest 4.0.1 DTD but your DOCTYPE is probably something like

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"

So the validator validates the document against the 4.0 spec (which did
not include NAME as a valid attribute for IMG) while the System Identifier
points to a DTD for the 4.01 spec (which does include NAME as a valid
attribute for IMG).

All very confusing.

Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!