Re: Image Tags

On Wednesday, March 1, 2000 at 11:06, Seamus.Venasse@polaris.ca (Seamus Venasse) wrote:

> When I use the HTML Validation Service and submit my URL, I get an error
> stating that there is no attribute for the "img" element called "name".
> Yet, when I refer to the document type definition at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd, the "img" element has the "name"
> attribute as a useable attribute.  I even placed my use of the tags in the
> order in which they are described in the above DTD, but your Validation
> Service still reports an error with that attribute.  The Validation Service
> does recognise that I am using the proper DTD, so is the problem in my HTML
> code, or is it something that is missing in the Validation Service?

This is confusion brought about by an issue I raised a few weeks ago. See
the thread "4.0 to 4.01 Transition Issues" in the archive if you missed it.

Basicly the DTD located at

<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd>

is the latest 4.0.1 DTD but your DOCTYPE is probably something like

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
            "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

So the validator validates the document against the 4.0 spec (which did
not include NAME as a valid attribute for IMG) while the System Identifier
points to a DTD for the 4.01 spec (which does include NAME as a valid
attribute for IMG).

All very confusing.

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!