Test case for XML-mode of HTML validator.

From: Ian Graham <igraham@smaug.java.utoronto.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:09:00 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org
cc: gerald@w3.org
I''ve noticed the following behavior (i.e., a bug) in the
validator -- I also apologize if this has been discussed before,
but I could find no mention of this particular diagnosis in the
list archives.

The bug/behavior is as follows:

  * XHTML files seem to validate (mostly) when they have a
    *.html filename extension and are served out as text/html.

  * Exactly the same XHTML files do not validate when they have a
    *.xml filename extension and are served out as text/xml.

I have a testcase that illustrate this -- two identical files, served
out as text/xml or text/html:

http://www.java.utoronto.ca/~igraham/Tests/minimal.xml
http://www.java.utoronto.ca/~igraham/Tests/minimal.html

The second validates, and the first does not. This might make a good test
case for an 'XML-mode' validation (if such a thing exists in the validator
tool).

Ian
--
Ian Graham ......................... Centre for Academic Technology
i a n   d o t   g r a h a m    a t    u t o r o n t o   d o t   c a