Re: Validator errors

From: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:53:31 -0500
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Cc: Vidiot <vidiot@vidiot.com>, www-validator@w3.org
On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 01:22:22PM -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
:
> There are two things that need to be done:
>
> 1.  You (Vidiot) need to start using valid doctypes on your pages
>      if you want to use a specific HTML flavor such as HTML 4.01.
>
> 2.  Gerald needs to rethink the utility of having the default be
>      XHTML 1.0.  While I can see -why- he'd choose this -- the W3C
>      has an interest in promoting the use of XHTML instead of HTML,
>      and this is one way of raising awareness -- I feel that it's
>      just going to result in confusing and frustration for the
>      default DTD to be anything other than HTML 4.01.

Yeah, I realized that a day or two ago -- at the very least, it
should have some text in the results saying "I'm assuming XHTML;
if you don't want that, here's info on adding an HTML doctype..."

I'll try to add something like that tomorrow.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny       <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920
System Administrator   http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/