validator bugs (incorrect passes)

From: Marc SCHAEFER <schaefer@alphanet.ch>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 06:42:09 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi,

when trying to validate a wrong HTML 2.0 document (e.g. with an unmatched
<a>), the validation passes, but on the bottom of the page (and you have
to scroll to get it, so it's bad), you get the errors.

Also, it suggests I should use WIDTH and HEIGHT tags for IMG, but if I add
them, then it tells me it's not valid HTML 2.0 (so why suggest it in the
first place) ?  Those problems are new (well, since the last time I used
the service, maybe 6 months or so). NB: I have always run in pedantic
mode and with the weblint results. Without, maybe you don't see the errors
and you validate incorrect code!

Otherwise, thanks for your useful service.

Reproduce by validating, e.g. http://www-internal.alphanet.ch/linux/,
then modify the last IMG tag, removing the > and you will see it still
validates.