Re: Validator fails if file ends in .xhtml instead of .html

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:11:36 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
CC: "Smith, Ross (LAX)" <ROSmith@ixl.com>
"Smith, Ross (LAX)" wrote:

>Why would the validator even care what extension the file has?

It doesn't, but your web server probably does. Without a specific URI to
the problem file I can't be sure, but it sounds as if your web server is
serving it up as one of the many XML MIME types (probably text/xml or
application/xml). The Validator doesn't grok this and barfs as you've
described. It's a bug and I've promised, but not yet delivered, a patch
for it. Hopefully I'll get it out sometime this week (add time for
Gerald to approve and apply it before you start getting impatient
though).