RE: XHTML Validator question

I am sure this is good advice, at some level. But I can't help thinking that it shouldn't really
be necessary to tinker with these settings, wherever they may be, on out-of-the-box IE
installations (on PCs, in my case). In my experience the W3C validator's upload feature works
with NS and Opera, but not with IE, for documents with an XML declaration. Is this an uncommon
experience?

Einar