XHTML 1.0 validator and <font> tags

From: Jamieson Christian <jamiec@huachuca-arl.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:55:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
I just started playing with the XHTML 1.0 Validator on a small portion of a
site under construction, at http://arlfhu.army.mil/menu.html

After I tweaked the page, the XHTML 1.0 Validator now says that the page is
valid under the XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD -- despite the fact that there are
still <font> tags present in the body.  I checked the Strict DTD, and it
certainly does not include an element definition for the deprecated <font>
tag.

Why is the validator not catching this?