Re: validator barfs on Netscape Composer output

Hello Bart,

Bart Szyszka wrote:

> > If you run http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/ on the W3C validator you will
> > see it barf on doctype.
> Then use the right one. It's really simple.

I didn't put the doctype in there. Netscape did.

> Well the W3C validator does default to HTML4. Also, Netscape Composer
> is *not* widely used. If you really want WYSIWYG, look into Dreamweaver
> by Macromedia, www.macromedia.com .

Thanks. I'll check it out. I hope that it generates compliant code
because I WANT to be compliant.

> Well you're using a tool that checks against the W3C standards. I hardly
> think that it's punishing you by showing you which parts of your document
> didn't comply. If it's complaining about your DOCTYPE, then it didn't
> comply. Make it comply. Simple as that.

I think it SHOULD tell me the doctype is the wrong case. I think ALL
errors should be flagged. I am not advocating the use of incorrect HTML.
I just think the validator would be more useful if it recovered from
simple errors more gracefully.

Other validators tell me that there were really only about 4 errors in
my file, bad case on doctype, used "size=+1" in font, used "HEIGHT=100%"
in table, and used "COLS=1" in table. But the validator lost it's mind
over the bad doctype and generated dozens of incorrect error messages
like "<BODY> is illegal" which isn't very helpful.

--
Phil Burk
SoftSynth.com