Re: Flexibility for HTML validator...

On 23.09.99 at 22:35, Wes Groleau <wwgrol@ftw.rsc.raytheon.com> wrote:

>Since the validator wants to go fetch the page from a URL fed to it, it
>cannot validate pages hidden behind a firewall.

Well, no, that's the whole point of putting them behind a firewall. :-)

>Perhaps this is intentional--"If you won't share your pages, we won't
>share our validator."

Not at all. It's simply that the pages are inaccessible to the validator.
The only way to circumvent a firewall is to install the validator behind
the firewall. Since the source code is available, you are free to do this.

>it might be nice to have an "alternate interface" where the user can
>cut/paste the entire page contents into a form.

This is on the TODO list, but I have no idea when it will be done. It's not
something that I'll work on any time soon and I have no idea how Gerald
prioritizes that particular feature.

However, an alternative that I'll be working on in the near future (well,
if Gerald ever gets around to applying the CGI.pm patch. ;D) is form based
file upload (so you can upload the file to be validated). I'll submit the
patch back to Gerald so if he accepts it the W3C Validator will get that
feature. Dunno when I'll be done or if Gerald will accept it.

For now you'll need to run the validator locally.