Re: OK to display W3C logo based on 3'rd party validator?

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:33:50 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
On 22.09.99 at 12:41, Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com> wrote:

>I find the assertion that the W3C validator is dated, badly in need of an
>overhaul, and other statements to be quite surprising. Yes, Gerald is
>busy, but it doesn't make the work faulty, nor necessarily incomplete.
>Indeed, they've kept up with XHTML 1.0, HTML 4.01, and much more.

Ah, you might find a peek at the source educational. The work is by no
means faulty, but the code was written for Perl 4 and hasn't been updated
to take advantage of the features of Perl 5. This means among other things
that it's memory consumption is far too high, it has security and integrity
problems related to temporary files, it is far less robust then it should
be, and it has limited support for some features and lack support for
others. Look at the TODO list; there is a reason why it's that long!

The reason why it's in that state is obviously that Gerald doesn't have
enough time to work on it. If he was given time to concentrate on it I'm
sure all these issues would be taken care of in short order.

--
*** I just switched to a new email client.
*** If you see any format problems in this message, yell. Loudly! :-)

                                             -link