Re: OK to display W3C logo based on 3'rd party validator?

From: Uriel Wittenberg <uw@urielw.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:43:02 -0400
To: Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com>
CC: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>, Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>, www-validator@w3.org
Ann Navarro wrote:

> No, the point is that the end user has no way of knowing how competent a
> third part is. There's a reasonable expectation of quality from the W3C --
> not necessarily "Joe Validator Writer"

This is close to my view. But competence is not the issue. The badge signifies
endorsement by the W3C of the document's validity. It's axiomatic that W3C
endorsements can only be made by the W3C.

Such endorsements could of course be indirect if W3C explicitly endorses someone
else's validator.

> (Note nothing in that comment places any value judgement on Liam's work)

Ditto.

--
http://www.urielw.com/