Re: OK to display W3C logo based on 3'rd party validator?

On 22.09.99 at 00:24, Uriel Wittenberg <uw@urielw.com> wrote:

>Terje Bless wrote:
>
>>both validators should give the same result; if it validates with one it
>>will validate with the other
>
>If I could assume that there'd be no issue.

If they don't then one of them has a bug which should be fixed!

Do you have any examples where this is the case?

>As I read the W3C website, their permission to display their logo depends
>on use of _their_ validator. Do they endorse others?

I can't imagine that the W3C, as such, will endorse another validator, but
as I said, the icon is meant to signify that the document follows a
specific standard and not that it passes a particular validator.

I can't in any way, shape or form speak for the W3C, but I can't think that
they'd object to you using the icon on your pages so long as they pass
validation with a functional equivalent of the W3C Validator (which, AFAIK,
the WDG Validator is). A better question is whether they would object to
you linking the icon to the WDG rather then the W3C, but I don't really
think anyone cares.

Of course, the only way to know for sure is if Gerald (or someone else at
the W3C) jumps in here with the official word.

--
*** I just switched to a new email client.
*** If you see any format problems in this message, yell. Loudly! :-)

                                             -link