Glitch in validator?

From: Alan Schneider <alansch@zip.com.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:32:09 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org

Love the validator. It is a great service and I use
it extensively.

I have however noticed a small but very consistent
problem which may indicate a minor bug in the
validator code.

The following html fragment illustrates the problem.

The validator seems to be attempting to validate
SOME of the contents of the script and is reporting
an error ...

Error at line 22:
   document.write("\" border=0 alt=\"Site Meter\"></a>");
          end tag for element "A" which is not open

Please do not hesitate to correct me if I have gotten
this wrong, but I would have thought that the validator
should basically ignore everything between the
<script type="..."> and the </script>.

I can work around the problem by splitting the
document.write("..."); into two parts with the "</" in
the first part and the "a> in the second. But it IS
a nuisance to have to do this just to get a page to
validate correctly.

Alan Schneider