Re: Which DTD?

From: Chris Nappin <CNappin@inri.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:13:38 +0100
To: "Philip J. Bailey" <pjb@philipbailey.u-net.com>
CC: www-validator@w3.org
Philip,

> My pages are written mainly to HTML 4.0, but to get seamless frames I have to use both IE & NS extensions which does not validate using the 4.0 Frameset DTD
>
> ..Another page ..reports an errors on the <EMBED tag and its Attributes

Neither seamless frames or the embed tag are part of HTML 4. So you have a design decision: either validation is important, or a good looking/sound web site. The answer will probably come from looking at your intended audience.

It is a great shame that producing a web site that meets the latest HTML standard means reducing functionality (especially the frames) but that discussion is probably best continued elsewhere !

thanks,

--
Chris Nappin, INRI UK Ltd.
INRI is a subsidiary of Logicon Inc, a Northrop Grumman Company.