Re: Parser Error?

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Brian Gilkison wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Lloyd Wood wrote:
> >since 'amazon' in the location bar gets parsed as http://www.amazon.com/
> >and 'gnu' gets parsed as http://www.gnu.org/ in popular browsers, it
> >strikes me that handling CDATA correctly in the location bar to ease
> >copying/pasting between mixed html and text environments is probably a
> >Good Idea. And rather less processing overhead than the dns matches
> >mentioned.
>
> The interpretation of bare words in the location bar is a matter of
> semi-intelligent guessing on the part of the browser; in my experience --
> and just attempted on IE5, Netscape 4.5 and 3.04, and Lynx 2.71 -- most
> browsers will try www.foo.com first (for "foo"), then www.foo.net or
> www.foo.org (I checked on Lynx, and it seems to try .com, .edu, .org, and
> .net, in that order).  I'm curious what browser version ignored gnu.com,
> and went to gnu.org instead...

Netscape 4.51 (Solaris). Related to the 'Internet Keywords'
checkbox under 'Smart Browsing' - if you turn that off you wind up at
http://www.gnu.com/

> BTW, IE5 correctly(?) interprets the %26 as a "&" in URLs within the
> <HTML> document itself (i.e. it shows "m&e" in the browser's status bar);
> while the other three browsers above did not translate %26 into &, they
> DID correctly follow the link -- perhaps this is more of a server issue
> re: what parsing the server applies to any HTTP requests it receives?

That's what I thought when I filed an apache bug report; strikes me
as something mod_speling could take into account.

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>