Re: Parser Error?

From: Lloyd Wood <L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 21:36:06 +0100 (BST)
To: Brian Gilkison <gilkison@one.net>
cc: www-validator@w3.org
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Brian Gilkison wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Andreas Mayer-Guerr wrote:
> >Please check this and you will understand what I mean:
> >
> >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.baud.de%2Frc5%2Findex.html
> >
> >I think these error's are not justified. Please tell me if I'm wrong/your
> >comment.
>
> The ampersand character ("&") is what is generating your error, since the
> validator is assuming what follows to be an entity reference.

Since it isn't an entity reference, it's safe to assume that the
validator is in the wrong.

> The
> preferred method to counter this is to user "&amp;" in place of "&" in
> your URLs, or change the separation character in your CGIs to some
> character that does not have any special significance in HTML (such as
> ";").

The effect of widespread use of tilde (~) and ampersand (&) on URLs
sans escapement is a lost cause as far as validation is concerned.

cheers,

L.

blame Andreesen and McCool if you must.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>