HTML 4 Validator Problem?

From: Rob Habberfield (robh@robh.net)
Date: Sat, Sep 11 1999

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 00:10:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Rob Habberfield" <robh@robh.net>
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Subject: HTML 4 Validator Problem?

Hi,

I think I've found some sort of problem with the validator.

My web page includes the following piece of code:

document.write("<u><span style='color:black;cursor:hand'
onclick='window.external.AddFavorite(location.href,document.title)'>Add this
page to your Favorites</span></u>");

That code is located in a browser detection script for IE4+ users. The
problem is that the validator sees the closing tags (</span></u>) at the end
of the code and says:
"end tag for element "SPAN" which is not open" and "end tag for element "U"
which is not open"

I'm using the Transitional doc-type for this page...

This web page is located at:
http://www.robh.net/index.html

And lastly, I did not subscribe to the mailing list, so direct replies would
be nice! <g>

Rob Habberfield