Re: HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0

From: Gerald Oskoboiny (
Date: Tue, Aug 31 1999

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:14:20 -0400
From: Gerald Oskoboiny <>
To: Kevin Berkheiser <>
Cc: W3C Validator <>
Subject: Re: HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0

On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 11:04:30PM -0400, Kevin Berkheiser wrote:
> I just modified the doctypes on my home page to HTML 4.01.  When I
> validate it seems the validator no longer says what version of HTML my
> document validates as.  It just says it complies with the doctype
> specified.

Hmm. I have a couple bugfixes in an internal version that I
haven't committed yet, but this isn't one of them.

It detects and reports HTML 4.01 in this case:

Do you have an example URI that causes it not to work?

Gerald Oskoboiny       <>  +1 617 253 2920
System Administrator
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)