RE: How to be 3.0 browser compliant and still validate?

Well, basically the author's definition would be something like "if
moving to standard tags and CSS would cause the page to look different
than achieved with the invalid tags"..

Anyhow, this is a moot point.

I spent some time on the errors and I managed to eliminate the invalid
attributes and replace them with their equivalent CSS tags.  The only
real problem that came from this was Navigator's lack of support for
margin=0 CSS attribute on the Body element.  I had to move one of the
background images out of the table and into body so it would flow past
the body margins.  Its not a perfect solution since the author had a
second image that should have flowed past the margins too, but it does
not look too bad.

If someone is really willing to spend time trying to find out how using
CSS impacts the look of a site when compared with the non CSS attributes
you can accomplish quite a bit.

In the end using CSS in this case had no real effect on Navigator 3,
since the invalid tags that were used were either not supported by
Navigator 3 or the tags had little impact on the look.

I could not test the changes with IE3 because I could not uninstall IE4.
Formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows NT was not an option
for this.

Thanks

Kevin Berkheiser