Re: How to be 3.0 browser compliant and still validate?

From: Liam Quinn (liam@htmlhelp.com)
Date: Sun, Aug 08 1999

Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 12:08:54 -0400
To: "Kevin Berkheiser" <KBerk@Bigfoot.com>, "W3C Validator" <www-validator@w3.org>
From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Subject: Re: How to be 3.0 browser compliant and still validate?

At 11:34 AM 08/08/99 -0400, Kevin Berkheiser wrote:
>         I was trying to help a web designer with his site and we are left
>with the following errors:           Error at line 10:     """""" left
>                                          there is no attribute
>                             "" (explanation...)           Error at line
>10:     """"""" topmar                                                there
>is no attribute

Wow, I hope this isn't the Microsoft Future.  Did you notice how "Microsoft
Word 9" generated a blank line:

face="Trebuchet MS"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'><![if

I'd suggest using a more recipient-friendly mail program.

To answer your question, you can use non-standard attributes in a custom
DTD.  See <http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/customdtd.html>.

>Is there any way of keeping the current look and
>feel of this site working in 3.0 browsers and still validate?

3.0 browsers don't support MARGINWIDTH or MARGINHEIGHT.  Except for MSIE3,
they also don't support a BACKGROUND attribute on TD.

The standard way to do what you want would be to use style sheets.  See
<http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/>.

--
Liam Quinn