Re: EN and FR

From: Kynn Bartlett (
Date: Tue, Jul 27 1999

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:38:57 -0700
From: Kynn Bartlett <>
Subject: Re: EN and FR

At 09:26 AM 7/27/1999 , Pierre Crescenzo wrote:
>I've validate a page [1] in HTML 4.0 strict. When I use :
>	"">
>that's OK. But if I change EN to FR (the page is in French),

As I understand the doctype, the "EN" tells what language the
specification was written in.

To identify the language of the document itself, you would want
to use the LANG attribute, which can be used on most elements;
I suggest:

  <!DOCTYPE as above>
  <HTML LANG="en">

Kynn Bartlett  <>
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain Internet
Catch the Web Accessibility Meme!
Next Online Course starts August 2
"Pissing off comic book fans isn't a business problem, it's a sport." -NK