Re: doctype placement

From: Liam Quinn (liam@htmlhelp.com)
Date: Mon, Jul 26 1999

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:43:43 -0400
To: roconnor@uwaterloo.ca
From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Re: doctype placement

At 08:27 PM 26/07/99 -0400, Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Liam Quinn wrote:
>
>> This has the unfortunate side effect of allowing unrecognized DOCTYPEs to
>> go by without an error message while SP assumes HTML4.dtd.
>
>Sorry, I don't fully understand this.  Can you give some examples to
>illustrate this?

When you use

DOCTYPE html HTML4.dtd

in your catalog and try to validate a document with an unrecognized DOCTYPE
such as

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//FOO//DTD FOO 99.0//EN">

or

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//w3c//dtd html 3.2 final//EN">

SP will assume HTML4.dtd without issuing an error message.  (At least this
is how my locally hacked SP behaves.  I don't think it's from anything I
changed.)

--
Liam Quinn