Re: adding microdata to xhtml doctype

2013-02-21 16:32, Lee Johnson wrote:

> I have searched both on Google and in W3C in an effort to implement/add
> microdata to my websites

The pages you mention contain no microdata, and they validate.

XHTML 1.0 does not contain microdata markup.

> I am not well versed in the details of various doctypes and have tried
> numerous methods, but to no avail. When I try to validate, I receive a
> 'Fatal Error'

As far as I know, there is no doctype published by the W3C that allows
microdata. You have to write one, or use someone else's. It's just a
matter of adding a little to an existing Document Type Definition. See e.g.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3659778/can-i-add-microdata-from-html5-to-a-xhtml-strict-site-and-still-be-compliant

>  From what I understand, I believe the addition of microdata may be
> essential in the near future

I have not seen any signs of actual use of microdata in major search
engines except for some large corporate and community sites.

Yucca