ordering of background shorthand properties

From: <info@use-affairs.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:07:44 +0100
To: "www-validator-css@w3.org" <www-validator-css@w3.org>
All our websites have recently become invalid. Seems that the validator
has changed the order of the background shorthand properties
"background-position" and "background-repeat".

Example:

A CSS statement like "background:#324553 url(images/header_bg.gif) 0 10px
repeat-x;"
leads to the following validator error:
"Value Error : background Too many values or values are not recognized",

The same CSS statement, only with background-position and
background-repeat swapped,
"background:#324553 url(images/header_bg.gif) repeat-x 0 10px;" validates
to XHTML 1.0 strict.

I wasn't aware that W3C Standards restrict the ordering of shorthand
properties, especially since I never got an error nor a warning. Could it
possibly be a validator bug?

--
use-affairs
Usability Consulting