Re: Typo in alt attribute

Am 17.07.2009 um 17:42 schrieb Andreas Prilop:

> This is an argument like:
>  The English "to realise" means "realisieren" in German because
>  the word "realisieren" exists in German.

No, it isn't.

> In fact, you are right with "validieren":
>
>       wahr -- verifizieren
>     falsch -- falsifizieren
>     gültig -- validieren

ACK

> but "(in)valid" is still "(un)gültig" in German.

Both is correct. :-) Whereas "invalid" is used very rare and mostly in
medical context meaning "gebrechlich", "versehrt" (english:
disabled) :-)
But we don't talk about the meaning and right usage and translation of
the word "invalid" but of the meaning and right usage of the word
"valid"...

>> http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/valide
>
> The combined forces of pupils and amateurs have flooded the wikis
> with mistranslations and other mischief. And now the combined forces
> of pupils and amateurs take the wikis as proof that they are right.

Wiktionary is correct in this case, no reason to not trust it or to
derogate its result in this concrete case.
I think, you forgot to follow and accept this given link to the Wahrig
Fremdwörterlexikon, which has a reputation and reliability like the
german Duden since decades:
http://books.google.com/books/p/wissen_media_verlag?id=8WYffUThLA4C&pg=PA1045&dq=valide&hl=de
It backs and confirms the other both sources, I have mentioned.

>> http://wortschatz.uni-leipzig.de/cgi-bin/wort_www.exe?site=1&Wort=valide
> | Sachgebiet: Medizin
>
> Quite right! The word "(in)valid" is properly used in a medical sense
> in the German language:
>  The "Invaliden" came back from Stalingrad. ;-)

See above: please stick to the topic. The topic is "valid(e)". And not
"invalid(e)".

> Amateurish translators like Bornémann made James Bond hunt for
> silicone
> chips in German cinemas.

Please stick to the topic and don't be rude and don't troll.

Regards,
Sierk