Re: Floats need explicit width??

Douglas,

.... and of course html 6 will reverse this decision when the wise men of
this world decide it should implement something fundamentally
incompatible with html 5.
[This is not a general criticism of html 5, which is, of course,
generally excellent, if at least 5 years too late.]

Back in the real world of dealing with incompatible browsers and
standards, it would be nice if the css validator allowed one the option
of toggling off errors/warning for -moz, -khtml, &c and the html
validator gave one the converse toggle of generating warnings for MS
conditional comments if one objected to them.  A little bit more
control, a whole world of benefit.

Anyway, enough philosophy for now,

Regards,
Aristotle, er, sorry, Paul McKeown (I must wake up!)