RE: CSS Tutorial for Compliance

From: Douglas Perreault CPA* CITP <doug@perreault.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:56:49 -0400
To: <www-validator-css@w3.org>

I agree with Wayne Smith's assessment.

I use IE7 and IE8 a lot and I have never, as far as I know, had IE7 lock up
solely due to CSS issues. It's usually a script issue. A script error as
simple as a misplaced comma is enough to do it sometimes. IE8 has some
issues when I have a large page with either a lot of div's or a large table,
but it doesn't actually "lock up" per se -- it just takes a lot longer to
finish. If I switch to IE7 compatibility that problem goes away. But in IE7
itself, no, I can't say as I've ever had it lock up due to CSS issues as far
as I can recall.

If you cannot discover the problem, take Wayne up on his suggestion and post
the link to the problematic page (if it's not confidential). Someone with a
keen eye will probably figure it out for you quickly enough.

In the meantime, double check all the things you tend to err on. I know when
I find something baffling, I go back through the things I tend to screw up.
For me that is to be sure I have the right doctype, that I have run the page
through the HTML validator and the CSS validator both, that I don't have any
obvious script errors (Firebug on Firefox and IE8's debugger are both
excellent tools for this), and that I'm checking against the correct CSS
version -- usually that means 2.1 for me. I also have a few standard
included components that often need to go in the correct order, so I double
check that I didn't mess up that order.

Be sure you're checking *all* the items included in the page. A friend of
mine recently had a strange issue with a disappearing paragraph in IE7.
Turns out the CSS from an included component had a misplaced comma that was
causing the issue. He didn't write that part of the CSS and just assumed it
was correct so he didn't validate that part.