Re: css-validator & browser language -- broken

Dear near-anonymous CC,

On Jan 6, 2008, at 22:39 , CC wrote:
> Recently you seem to have introduced Geo-IP technology to
> identify the location of a user's ISP and thus where the
> user is probably based and thus the language used there.

No. There has been no such change to the validator code base, not has
there been any change to the validation service in the past months.

> For me it has made the correct assumption of es-ES,
> although it ignores my browser language (en-IE).

Can you:
1) double-check your browser settings?
2) check that you are accessing the validator through its language-
negotiated interface
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
and not through a direct per-language interface:
e.g. http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator.html.es
3) check that your ISP, some proxy or other intermediary isn't
modifying your http headers, using a service such as:
http://pgl.yoyo.org/http/browser-headers.php

> Alas, even though one might choose a different language
> from the language list on http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/,
> since cookies are not used (effectively), the results
> fall back to a Geo-IP default.

Again, there is no Geo-IP system. The validator has been changed, so
that if you select a specific language in the interface, the results
will be in that language too. Those changes are not in production yet,
however.

> Someone hasn't tested their work.
> Contact me if you need a tester.

I suggest avoiding such an inflamatory tone, especially when basing
yourself on incorrect assumptions. Note that the development instance
of the CSS validator is always publicly available at:
http://qa-dev.w3.org:8001/css-validator/
and early feedback is always welcome.

Regards,
olivier