Re: HTTP 500 - Internal server error

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:28:14 +0200
To: (wrong string) udio Teixeira" <claudio@ua.pt>, <www-validator-css@w3.org>
Cc: <diogo@ua.pt>

Cludio Teixeira wrote:

> CSS validator has always worked fine, but in the last months it
> started to generate the following error:
> HTTP 500 - Internal server error.

It seems to come from the CSS Validator, so it's apparently a bug there,
though the ultimate problem is in your style sheet.

> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=www.ua.pt

So the problem page is http://www.ua.pt . It has valid markup, and the
first few style sheet referred to by it are checked OK, but the problem
seems to be with the style sheet
which results in the message
Servlet has thrown exception:javax.servlet.ServletException: Timed out
(and probably the 500 error code, but IE doesn't tell).

Checking with
which is an old CSS checker, largely limited to CSS 1, but useful for
many purposes, I find that the style sheet begins with

(or, technically, undefined octets that become such characters when
interpreted as ISO-8859-1 data), which looks suspiciously like a Byte
Order Mark (BOM) at the start of UTF-8 encoded data. That's more or less
garbage in CSS terms, and seems to trigger a bug in the W3C CSS

This should get fixed if you edit the style sheet using a simple editor
and remove the extra data at the start, or open it in a UTF-8 capable
editor and save it in ASCII encoding (or ISO-8859-1, or something like
that), which should result in having the BOM dropped.

> We didn't upgrade or change the css files, so we have no idea on
> what's wrong, and the error is extremely generic.

I guess the CSS Validator somehow changed its processing of character
encodings, then.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")