Re: Property font-stretch doesn't exist : wider

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:50:20 +0900
Cc: CSS validator list <www-validator-css@w3.org>, W3C CSS WG <w3c-css-wg@w3.org>
To: Michael Davey <michael@cytringan.co.uk>

Hi Michael, all,

A few clarifications, in addition to David's excellent answer.

On Oct 16, 2007, at 22:05 , Michael Davey wrote:
> The CSS validator at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ is
> reporting that
> font-stretch: wider;
> isn't a valid CSS 2.1 property.  The error message is:

[...]

> I'm not sure whether it is an oversight in the 2.1 spec or a bug in
> the validator.

Neither. CSS2.1 only includes properties that were implemented. In
other words, if font-stretch: wider is not in CSS2.1, there is not
much point, right now, in using it. I gather that the CSS Working
Group (in charge of CSS standardization) expects to bring it back,
and have it properly implemented, for CSS3.

> If the former, it would be nice if the validator included a warning
> to say that the same is valid in 2.0 and 3.0

Ta-da:
http://qa-dev.w3.org:8001/css-validator/
(still in development)

> and give information about how to hint to browsers that one is
> using CSS 2.0 or CSS 3.0.

Versioning in CSS is controversialů The CSS WG is preparing a
document explaining its vision of CSS as one whole, with different
profiles, not versions. I hope it will be made public very soon: when
it does, and if it can provide a number of clarifications, including
what to do with discrepancies between CSS1 and CSS2 core syntax, the
CSS validator will be updated to reflect this (as you can see on the
qa-dev instance)

Regards,