Re: Property font-stretch doesn't exist : wider

On 16 Oct 2007, at 14:05, Michael Davey wrote:
> The CSS validator at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ is
> reporting that
> font-stretch: wider;
> isn't a valid CSS 2.1 property.

Well, it isn't.

> The validator accepts the same prpoerty in CSS 2.0 and CSS 3.0.
> I'm not sure whether it is an oversight in the 2.1 spec or a bug in
> the validator.

It is easy enough to check: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html

It isn't listed.

> If the former, it would be nice if the validator included a warning
> to say that the same is valid in 2.0 and 3.0

Possibly...

But do note the abstract for the 2.1 spec though: http://www.w3.org/
TR/CSS21/cover.html

   "But most of all CSS 2.1 represents a "snapshot" of CSS usage: it
consists of all CSS features that are implemented interoperably at
the date of publication of the Recommendation."

and

   "Some parts of CSS2 are unchanged in CSS 2.1, some parts have been
altered, and some parts removed."

> and give information about how to hint to browsers that one is
> using CSS 2.0 or CSS 3.0.

You don't. CSS is just CSS as far as browsers are concerned. I won't
go into detail about how you deal with browsers not supporting some
parts of some CSS profiles, other places (such as CSS-Discuss) are
more suitable for that.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/