Re: bug report

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 00:04:32 +0200 (EET)
To: Brian Rosmaita <brosmait@hamilton.edu>
cc: www-validator-css@w3.org

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Brian Rosmaita wrote:

> I don't see this one in the bug list.

I guess that's because it's defined as a feature, so it cannot be a bug.
:-)

> I believe it validated as recently (!) as March 2006,
> but is now reported as illegal.

That's because the "W3C CSS Validator" changed the default version (or
"profile" as they call it) of CSS to use in the checking from CSS 2.0, the
W3C Recommendation, to CSS 2.1, the mutable draft. The wisdom in this
mad^H^H^Hoddity is that CSS 2.1 is closer to what browsers actually eat.

You can still use the CSS 2.0 "profile", but you must explicitly select it
in the user interface.

> CAPTION {
>    caption-side: left;
>    margin-left: -8em;
>    width: 8em;
>    text-align: right;
>    vertical-align: bottom
> }

I don't think any browser supports the value left for caption-side, and
this is basically why it was dropped from CSS 2.1. And I don't think you
can simulate it quite the way you are trying to, but that's a different
issue.