RE: BOM

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Prilop [mailto:AndreasPrilop2007@trashmail.net]
Sent: 27. juni 2007 18:15
To: www-validator-css@w3.org
Cc: Jan Eliasen
Subject: Re: BOM

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Jan Eliasen wrote:

>You can view HTTP headers with
> http://web-sniffer.net/
>or with the browser Lynx:
>  lynx -head -dump http://www.example.com/
I am afraid I am on a Windows system, and getting lynx (does it even exist
for Windows?) will be too much for me. I was not aware of the web-sniffer -
pretty cool.

>> If you are talking about a setting on the web server that must be set,
>> then I believe only few mortal people have access to change settings
>> ont he web server.
>Oh no! With Apache, every user can do this as I have written in
>  http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/bom.css
Well, thing is, my web sites are programmed in asp.net, and hostet on IIS
version something.

>> But this means, that the css validator doesn't understand that BOM
>> either, which is "worse", right?
>Not really, since Google cannot understand and cannot index
>UTF-16 at all. There is no point to use UTF-16 (let alone UTF-32) on the
web.
>If you want to be indexed by Google, do not use UTF-16.
Well, one thing is the css validator not understanding the BOM, which is
afterall a legal way to describe the encoding of your file. Another is
whether we should determine what should be used or not by looking at what
documents google can index. I'd prefer having google change their program
instead.

>> So please stop using them! (See what I mean?)
>You get what you pay for! (See what I mean?)
Not really.

I am aware that I am not paying for the use of the css validator, if that is
what you mean? But that does not mean I cannot point out features I'd like
added to the validator. I can just hope the functionality will be added
someday.

--
eliasen