W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-validator-css@w3.org > January 2007

RE: Parse Error if @Media is first line in style sheet

From: Douglas Perreault <doug@perreault.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:35:39 -0500
To: "'Andreas Prilop'" <AndreasPrilop2007@trashmail.net>, <www-validator-css@w3.org>
Message-ID: <01c901c72f65$f8749220$6400a8c0@perreault.us>

Thank you for the info. 

Your link to
http://ppewww.physics.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/checklist.html#css provided
me some information I did not know before -- that there is a @Charset rule
for CSS. 

I have added the content type to the text/css MIME type in IIS, but will
have to wait till a better time to restart the server to see if it helps.

What I have not been able to figure out, though, is why all of a sudden
everything on our server (ALL files) is in UTF-8 when it used to be
ISO-8859-1. I cannot find any setting anywhere that I can change this for
all MIME types all at once.

It is a pain because I used to be able to drag & drop a message straight
from an attachment in Outlook to the web folder containing the documents to
be displayed on the web. When I do it now, the file name gets changed into
what looks like gibberish. I have to save the attachment to my desktop
first, then drag it to he web folder.

I beginning to think maybe Microsoft updated the default Windows encoding
from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 in one of their security updates and didn't tell us
and there's no way to go back.

The info you provided at least provides me a way to validate (by using the
@charset rule). I tried opening my style sheet in a hex edit, but when I
deleted the BOM and saved the file, the "@m" from the "@media screen"
disappeared. It's as if Windows was now considering those characters the
BOM.

I would *love* to save the file as UTF-8 without the BOM -- I just can't
seem to be able to do this.

I would love to set the server back to using ISO-8859-1, but the only way I
can see to do this is to edit each and every one of the MIME types, which of
course would be a huge pain.

Anyway, at least I am able to validate now -- even if it's not the solution
I was looking for. Thank you.

--Doug
Received on Wednesday, 3 January 2007 18:36:56 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 27 June 2012 00:14:18 GMT