Re: Css validation

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:31:46 +0200 (EET)
To: Sandra Williams <sandra@sandrawilliams.id.au>
cc: www-validator-css@w3.org

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Sandra Williams wrote:

> I am struggling to learn CSS so that I can validate the three websites I
> design & maintain. I recently used the validator and it gave me quite a few
> of these warnings.

Please post the URL when reporting problems with errors or warnings.

> 64 h3 This property applies to block-level elements.

Where do you get such a message and why do you think it is a warning? It
looks like purely informative. I can't remember having seen such messages
in reports from the W3C CSS Validator.

> #banner {
> text-align:center;
> background-color: #ff4500;
> margin: 0px;
> }

What I actually get from the W3C CSS Validator when I try that is the
warning

"You have no color set (or color is set to transparent) but you have set a
background-color. Make sure that cascading of colors keeps the text
reasonably legible."

(which is quite adequate, though difficult to understand to people who
have started using CSS without understanding much of the "C" in "CSS").