Re: Question on why my CSS file won't validate

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@zoy.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:03:13 +0900
Cc: www-validator-css@w3.org
To: Andreas Prilop <AndreasPrilop2006@trashmail.net>

Hi Andreas, all.

On Dec 1, 2006, at 23:14 , Andreas Prilop wrote:
> Please give a real example where non-ASCII characters are needed
> in *style sheets*. For an occasional character, you can still use
> the "backslash escape" references. Otherwise, feel free to use
> UTF-8.

I have seen quite a few examples of font names in Japanese in CSS
style sheets, hence the need to save (and serve) said stylesheets in
utf-8.

> Both UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 are fine as long as you define
> such encodings (charset) in the HTTP header.
> http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset
> http://ppewww.physics.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/checklist.html
>
>> Of course, neither of those requires BOMs...
>
> Exactly.

Right, but unless I am mistaken, UTF-8 with BOM, albeit not really
useful, is not forbidden, and therefore the validator's crashing on
it is a problem. I talked to a few people who know Java much better
than I do, we'll see if we can get this fixed.