Re: About transparent background

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 09:34:16AM -0400, Jasper Magick wrote:
>  On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:55:26 +0100, David Dorward wrote:
>  >Speaking as a user - I don't.

>> I'll also point out that the CSS validator lets you turn warnings
>> off if you don't like them.

> Judging by the amount of warnings the W3.org website has, no wonder
> you don't hate them.

I fail to see how http://w3.org/ triggering warnings in the validator
has anything to do with my liking them or otherwise.

>  And it is not just that *I* can turn the warnings off if I choose,
>  if it was just a simple matter of that then it wouldn't be a
>  problem.

Since some people find the warnings useful, removing the feature (even
if you discount that can be controled by user preferences) would be a
bad thing.

>  It is that *other people* whom choose to check the validation of my
>  site will see the warnings and think I'm a bad web designer.

I think that removing functionality from a tool because some users of
that tool don't understand it is a very poor solution to the problem.

>  There is NO reason at all why Transparent Backrounds should be
>  warned.

I disagree. It can be useful to be reminded about transparency in a
stylesheet. I'm not sure its useful enough to justify being in a
"Normal Report", but it should certainly be kept in for "All".

(I'll also point out, to put my comments into context, that despite
the subject line, the message I responded to was discussing
"warnings", not that specific warning).