malformed URL that cannot be parsed by the server

From: Web Wise Wizard <HadleyG@web-wise-wizard.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 02:08:14 -0000
To: <www-validator-css@w3.org>
I have recently started validating my pages for CSS errors and I think
the W3C validator is great.
To let users see (and check for themselves) I have placed the W3C CSS
logo at the bottom of all my pages using the referer URL recommended on
your site and it works fine.
However, when I use the W3C link checker it returns the following error:

What to do: Usually the sign of a malformed URL that cannot be parsed by
the server.

Response status code: 400
Response message: Bad Request

Line: 406
Is there anything that can be done about this or am I doing something
wrong? It has been suggested to me that this is a fault on the W3C
Your assistance would be appreciated.

This email has passed through an IE Internet MailWall gateway
and has been screened for known viruses, potential viruses and
malicious code.

IE Internet.com MailWall (http://ieinternet.com/mailwall/)