Re: Vendor Specific Extensions

From: Christian Roth <roth@visualclick.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:57:05 +0100
To: <www-validator-css@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

><bfrohs@frohsenwebdesign.com> wrote:
>> I'm just hoping the css validator can be made to support these vendor
>> specific extensions. I know in w3 documentation, it says these
>> extensions should be avoided, but it does not say they should never be
>> used.
>
>The validator "validates" recommendations issued by the W3C. Not
>(un)documented extensions from third parties.

So is using proprietary extensions in a way specified e.g. in CSS 2.1
making the stylesheet an invalid CSS stylesheet? Or is it merely making
it just an invalid CSS 2.1 (or CSS 3, 1, 42) stylesheet?

Does the validator have a mode that allows checking against a certain
level/revision combination *plus* allowing proprietary extensions
(checking their syntax only, of course)? Which profile do I use for that?

Regards, Christian.