Re: Possible CSS Validator bug

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Possible CSS Validator bug
Date: 	Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:05:44 +0300
From: 	taimpsfm <emm.sii@mail.ee>
To: 	Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * taimpsfm wrote:
>
>> Can you please explain me, what does this error-message mean?
>> Screenshot is available here:
>> http://taimar.pri.ee/temp/invalid_byte.png
>>
>> This page validated ~2 months ago,
>> but now it's mysteriously broken.
>> And I havent edited this document meanwihle.
>> HTML Validator gives *no* warning/error whatsoever.
>>
>> Could you please tell me, what has been changed in CSS Validator and why?
>

> It seems you are using XHTML and the ISO-8859-1 character encoding,
> yet you don't specify this encoding anywhere but the <meta> element.
> You must specify the encoding in the HTTP header, the XML declaration
> or both, the <meta> element is not sufficient for XHTML documents.
> The Markup Validator indeed fails to detect this kind of error, this
> is a known bug.

This bug has been apprently fixed,
I'm not getting this error anymore. :)

But... there's another one:
http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/2955/bgnotvalid5ia.png

Its *not* allowed to specify position units:
background: url(gfx/style/bg_header.gif) no-repeat *0 0*;

.... but it validates, when I use it so:
background: url(gfx/style/bg_header.gif) no-repeat *left top*;
.... or even so:
background: url(gfx/style/bg_header.gif) no-repeat *0% 0%*;

Why is it like that? :)