Re: validator vs. apache's content negotiation

On 8-Dec-04, at 12:47 AM, scragz wrote:
> I'm getting grief from a client because the CSS validator is giving
> errors on his site [1]. The problem is that I have PHP parse the
> stylesheets because I'm lazy and don't want to deal with all of the
> cross-browser hacks when PHP can do a simple UA detect; so the files
> are named "style.css.php", etc. I use Apache's content negotiation [2]
> to make the <link> be to "style.css" so no-one gets weirded out by
> the .php suffix.
I actually looked into this with the exact same error message on my
site.
If you look at what happens when the validator sends the request
your server returns a 406 error. The validator sends the accept header
"text/css,text/html,text/xml,application/xhtml+xml,application/
xml,image/svg+xml,*/*;q=0"

One way to fix this is to use mod_rewrite. At least, that's how I plan
to fix it.

> Every browser handles this fine and I can't tell why
> the validator doesn't.
Browsers are willing to accept */* files and the validator isn't.

The stylesheet linked to from http://www.marduke.com/ currently
exhibits this
behaviour and will continue to do so until I get the time to fix it.