Re: validators hang when referred from private address space

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:18:47 +0100 (BST)
To: Scott C Ream <sream@softhome.net>
cc: www-validator-css@w3.org, www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Scott C Ream wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have apache installed on a gateway machine.  When I access the site
> internally with http://192.168.0.1 and hit the check button for html 4.01 or
> css it hangs because the w3c machine is searching for referrer 192.168.0.1

Good point.

Of course, it's vulnerable to a similar hang if it simply can't contact
(or can't resolve DNS for) any server on the 'net with a real address.
So I prefer the fix of a short timeout.  Some of the Site Valet tools
use 10 seconds.

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>