Is the CSS validator working correctly for CSS only validation?

From: John December <john@december.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:49:26 -0500
To: www-validator-css@w3.org
I used http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html,
to validate this CSS file:

http://www.december.com/html/demo/mystyle.css

The validator does not seem to work correctly. This file, based on
other validation, does seem correct; but the CSS validator comes up
with error messages that do not get displayed correctly, I can see
them using the view source option of the browser.

This css file does validate if I send the URI of the HTML document
which references it:

http://www.december.com/html/demo/mystyle.html

Do you have any insight into this?
Thanks.