Re: Server Side Magic.

From: Tom Worthington (tom.worthington@tomw.net.au)
Date: Tue, Jul 24 2001

    Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:15:45 +1000
    To: fasol@eurotechnology.com
    From: Tom Worthington <tom.worthington@tomw.net.au>
    Cc: Juha Vierinen <jvierine@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi>, www-mobile@w3.org, www-tv@w3.org, fasol@eurotechnology.com
    Subject: Re: Server Side Magic.

    At 11:17  23/07/01 +0900, Gerhard Fasol wrote:
    >Tom, I agree with what you are saying... There is a very simple test: look
    >at the website with an imode phone ...

    Trying to get the average web site to work on the current small-screen
    i-mode or WAP phone is probably too difficult a task. My suggestion is to
    aim for a quarter-VGA screen on a typical PDA device, such as an MS-Pocket PC.

    While messing around with an Internet TV in a hotel recently I found that
    I-mode pages worked reasonably well and the effective TV screen size is
    about the same as one-quarter VGA
    <http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/eal/index.html#MovieLink>. The European
    Interactive TV format recently adopted by Australia appears a bit
    overblown, but would offer the possibility of using the same web pages for
    hand held devices and iTV.

    What the mobile industry needs are some reasons for customers to buy new
    products and services. There is no point in promoting technologies which
    are already proven failures, such as WAP and the videophone. In Sydney last
    week I proposed kiddie-groupware as the mobile killer application
    <http://www.tomw.net.au/media/20010719.html>. If young people are using SMS
    for organising social events, then why not give them a more sophisticated
    web based applications to do it?

    Tom Worthington FACS tom.worthington@tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
    Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd ABN: 17 088 714 309
    http://www.tomw.net.au PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
    Visiting Fellow, Computer Science, Australian National University
    Publications Director & Past President, Australian Computer Society
    YXML? 31 July, Sydney: http://www.tomw.net.au/2000/yxml.html