RE: DNS and some of my ideas

I think I need to clarify a couple of my ideas and make a few points.

By channel number I mean the channel slot on the client device not channel
frequency.  Channel numbers are unique, it's the content of a channel number
which may be localised.  Channels and channel numbers should be
deterministic within locale and are required in parallel to any name based
scheme.

Channel Numbers are essential for channel browsing using channel +/-
functionality and for short-cut channel choice.

Consider an consumer scenario for choosing a Channel by:
- number, consumer enters: "001" (Can use IR-remote, keyboard not
compulsory, quite elegant).
	- name, consumer enters: "1.bbc.co.uk" (keyboard compulsory and
would be unworkable in practice).

If tv:<channel number> is excluded some alternative for channel +/- is
required.  This would still require some form of localised channel mapping,
so I don't see the benefit of excluding channel numbers.
e.g.
	tv:+
	tv:-

I agree that some form of DNS is required for name directed channel choice
for broadcasts.  However I think content will also increasingly be provided
on demand, rather than via broadcast.  I also think that this content will
be provided by third parties in addition to the basic service provider (i.e.
a local cable company) and it's somewhat disingenuous to assume otherwise.

It is for this reason that content directed URL's are required and why I
specifically used the .FILM & .SHOW tld's.  A pleasant side effect of this
approach is that it also neatly avoids the namespace clashes caused by
promotional WWW sites.

NB: The views and opinions expresses in this message may or may not reflect
the views of my employer

Martin Spamer
Senior Software Engineer
Kingston Vision LTD