DNS and some of my ideas

Overall I prefer the DNS style scheme.  However I believe that a tv: scheme
should be as inclusive as possible and therefore should also support both
the channel number and encompass the ITU callsign style scheme. I believe
this would allow this scheme to be used on both closed and open networks.

e.g.
	tv:<channel no>
or	tv:<broadcaster>
or	tv:<network>
or	tv:<callsign>		or	tv:<callsign>.itu		or
tv:<callsign>.itu.org

i.e.
	tv:999
or	tv:bbc.co.uk
or	tv:one.bbc.co.uk	or	tv:1.bbc.co.uk
or	tv:kqed				or	tv:kqed.itu
or	tv:kqed.itu.org

I also feel consideration needs to be given to content centric URL's
particularly for On-Demand content such as VOD.  I believe a key issue is
should this be tied into the service provider or the content, consistency
probably means being tied in to a DNS for the service provider.  Flexibility
& extensibility probably requires allowing for both, with some additional
'virtual' domain extensions for content.  If we use a content centric scheme
we should also include language/country versions to be addressed.

Below are a few ideas on how this would be achieved using the following
notation:
<description>	description of element.
{option}			an optional item.
<one>|<other>	select either or other.

e.g.
	tv:<service name>/<content name>/{<season|series>/}<episode>
or	tv:<title>.<programme|show>.film{.<country>}
or	tv:<episode name> | <episode
number>.<programme|show>.show{.<country>}

i.e.
	tv:vod.net/south park/the movie/
	tv:vod.net/south park/103/
	tv:vod.net/south park/volcano/

or	tv:the-movie.southpark.film		default language/country
version of original content.
	tv:the-movie.southpark.film.jp	Japanese language version.
	tv:the-movie.southpark.film.de	German language version.

or	tv:103.southpark.show
	tv:volcano.southpark.show

I also have a question for those with a better understanding signal encoding
than I have:

Q) Do we need to consider the format of the content streams, so for example,
if my consuming device takes a mpeg encoded PAL content stream, It would
only be valid to connect to PAL sources. Therefore should the prefix be
content format specific:
e.g.
MPEG:
PAL:
NTSC:
SECAM:
i.e.
MPEG:the-movie.southpark.film
PAL:one.bbc.co.uk
	NTSC:abc.com
SECAM:abc.net.au

Or do we assume the server know the content format or that client device can
translate?

NB: The views and opinions expresses in this message may or may not reflect
the views of my employer

Martin Spamer
Senior Software Engineer
Kingston Vision LTD