Re: TV Glossary

From: Michael A. Dolan (
Date: Tue, Aug 31 1999

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:46:06 -0700
To: "Jack Lang" <>, <>
From: "Michael A. Dolan" <>
Subject: Re: TV Glossary

At 12:06 AM 9/1/99 +0100, Jack Lang wrote:
>> >Program - a collection of related video, audio and/or data in a
>> >single "file".  This is also generically called "content".
>> So a Program has a definite, limited size. Right?
>It's size may not be known beforehand - for example coverage of a
>match or formulae one race.

The match eventually ends, even if it is not known in advance.  When
all is said and done, it can be stored as X bytes on a video server
somewhere.  It's broadcast is a Program Stream, which has no time
bounds, but recording it results in a Program.

>Programs may also be part of a series.

Do you mean like soap operas?  Each "episode" is a Program.  The fact
that there is continuity in content is interesting information and
may form a basis for linking the Programs in an EPG or database, but
they are still individual Programs.

>Do programs include commercials (I vote not - commercials etc should
>programs in their own right). Programs usually have a single content

I agree.  And, in my definition, a commercial is a Program (it's just
kinda short).  The assembly of Programs, including commercial
insertions, results in a Program Stream.

>> >Content Author - usually a studio (Disney, ABC Studios) that
>> >video, audio, and "data" or some aggregation of these.
>The components may be seperately authored and then aggregated by a
>The program may be comissioned by another party, or by a network.

There may be multiple content authors and they may span a long period
of time, and operate on each other's content.  Not sure how to
capture this in the definition, though.

Version: PGP for Personal Privacy 5.0
Charset: noconv

Michael A. Dolan, Representing DIRECTV,  (619)445-9070
PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903        FAX: (619)445-6122