HTTP server driven content negotiation

From: Michael A. Dolan (miked@tbt.com)
Date: Sun, Mar 07 1999

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 14:53:09 -0800
To: www-tv@w3.org (WWW TV List)
From: "Michael A. Dolan" <miked@tbt.com>
Subject: HTTP server driven content negotiation

When making content-based system profiles, it would be handy to tag
broadcast content.

As best as I can tell, CC/PP and the IETF conneg work is not suitable since
it requires the client to first describe its profile (which cannot
generally be done in TV).

HTTP 1.1 has the Vary tag and the concept of server driven content
negotiation.  However, I found the use of the Vary tag somewhat vague.
Anyone have any experience with this tag?  Is there more info somewhere at
W3C on this - from the HTTP 1.1 author perhaps?

Thanks for any pointers.

Regards,
	Mike

Michael A. Dolan, Representing DIRECTV,  (619)445-9070
PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903        FAX: (619)445-6122