Re: Resolving btv URLs

On Wed, 12 May 1999 Gomer Thomas wrote:

> Also, the URIs would not be entirely opaque. For example, a URI
> referring to a data item in a data carousel being broadcast as part
> of a data event could consist of a leading portion identifying the
> data event, followed by a path which defines how to navigate the
> Data Service Table and the Carousel directory to get to the data
> item.

So how does the client know where the "leading part" of the URI ends
and the "path" portion starts.  I don't think there is a parsable
delimiter in the btv syntax for this.  So does the "resolver" need to
support the equivalent of wildcards which redirect the requestor to
another potential data source for full resolution?

I understand how fully opaque and fully parsable URI's work, but
I'm a bit confused about how the two can be combined.  Does the btv
proposal assume that partial lookup and redirection support are both
implementation details and hence irrelevant to the URI structure?

thanks,

-jim

Jim Helman
Network Computer